- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Setting up a DataStax Enterprise Instance on Microsoft Azure 53 views 3 days ago Speaker: Joey Filichia, Business Intelligence Consultant There are many options for Cloud Providers, but according to the Gartner Magic Quadrant 2014 for IaaS Solutions, Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure are both leaders and visionaries. DataStax provides instructions for provisioning an Amazon Machine Image. This discussion will provide guidance on setting up a single-node DataStax Enterprise cluste
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Feelin’ the Flow: Analyzing Data with Spark and Cassandra 42 views 3 days ago Speaker: Rich Beaudoin, Senior Software Engineer at Pearson eCollege In the world of Big Data it’s crucial that your data is accessible. Cassandra provides us with a means to reliably store our data, but how can we keep it flowing? That’s where Spark steps up to provide a powerful one-two punch with Cassandra to get your data flowing in all the right directions.
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Building Java Applications with Apache Cassandra 31 views 3 days ago Speaker: Tim Berglund, Global Director of Training at DataStax So you’re a JVM developer, you understand Cassandra’s architecture, and you’re on your way to knowing its data model well enough to build descriptive data models that perform well. What you need now is to know the Java Driver. What seems like an inconsequential library that proxies your application’s queries to your Cassandra c
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Introduction to Apache Cassandra 26 views 3 days ago Speaker: Jon Haddad, Technical Evangelist for Apache Cassandra at DataStax This is a crash course introduction to Cassandra. You’ll step away understanding how it’s possible to to utilize this distributed database to achieve high availability across multiple data centers, scale out as your needs grow, and not be woken up at 3am just because a server failed. We’ll cover the basics
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Python & Cassandra Best Friends 29 views 3 days ago Speaker: Jon Haddad, Technical Evangelist for Apache Cassandra at DataStax We’ll be doing a deep dive into working with Cassandra using Python. We’ll cover a wide range of tools, starting with the native driver to cqlengine. We’ll also explore alternatives to the cqlsh repl to quickly explore our databases.
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: So, You Want to Use Cassandra? 133 views 4 days ago This talk discusses things to consider when considering Cassandra through the purview of a Pearson’s team’s recent Cassandra adoption after coming from a .NET/SQL world. Topics covered include data model design, operationalization of a cluster, and other best practices along with what happens when they aren’t followed.
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: A Cassandra Data Model for Serving up Cat Videos 93 views 4 days ago Keyboard Cat, Nyan Cat, and of course the world famous Grumpy Cat--it seems like the Internet can’t get enough cat videos. If you were building an application to let users share and consume their fill of videos, how would you go about it? In this talk, we’ll take a look at the data model for KillrVideo, a sample video sharing application similar to YouTube where users can share videos, comment
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Using Cassandra to Support Crisis Informatics Research 87 views 4 days ago Crisis Informatics is an area of research that investigates how members of the public make use of social media during times of crisis. The amount of social media data generated by a single event is significant: millions of tweets and status updates accompanied by gigabytes of photos and video. To investigate the types of digital behaviors that occur around these events requires a significant inves
- Cassandra Day Denver 2014: Transitioning to Cassandra for an Already Giant Product 57 views 4 days ago Data modeling, cluster sizing, and planning can be difficult when transitioning an existing product to Cassandra. Especially when the new Cassandra deployment needs to handle millions of operations per second on day one! In this talk I’ll discuss our strategy for data modeling, cluster sizing, and our novel approach to data replication across data centers.