Welcome to the another week of This Week in Cassandra! Cassandra is a distributed database offering linear scalability and high availability. In this post we’ll take a look at projects, blogs, events, jobs and JIRAs that are new to the Cassandra community. We’ll be discussing this post with Russell Bradberry, Co-Founder and Chief Architect at SimpleReach. For those of you interested, you can download the audio from SoundCloud here.
News and Blog Posts
- 3.6 and 3.0.6 code freeze
- Nominations for 2016-2017 DataStax Cassandra MVP are open!
- What I Learned As A DataStax Cassandra MVP by Jeff jirsa of CrowdStrike
- DataStax Python Driver 3.3.0 for Cassandra released by Adam Holmberg of DataStax
- Zipkin-Server 0.16 includes collector metrics and Cassandra 3+ support
- Update your Cassandra data model for 3.0 by Adam Hutson of DataScale
- Visualizing Cassandra Traces with Zipkin by Mick Semb Wever of The Last Pickle
- We want to hear from you. What kind of Cassandra content do you want to see? Let us know here!
- Cassandra Summit 2016 registration is open!
- May 9th, 2016 (Vancouver, CA): Apache Big Data 2016 – On The Bleeding Edge – Cassandra 3.4 and Beyond
- May 10th, 2016 (Melbourne, AU): Training- Troubleshooting Cassandra for Ops Engineers
- May 10th, 2016 (Vancouver, CA): Apache Big Data 2016 – SASI A Revolution for Secondary Indexes in Cassandra
- May 10th, 2016 (Toronto, CA): Spark with C* (and testing/modelling in Ruby)
- May 10th, 2016 (Vancouver, CA): Apache Big Data 2016 – Cassandra Multi-Datacenter Operations Essentials
- May 10th, 2016 (Vancouver, CA): Apache Big Data 2016 – Zipkin & Apache Cassandra: A Big Data Tracing Case Study
- May 10th, 2016 (Vancouver, CA): Wikimedia Content API: A Cassandra Use Case
- June 8th-10th, 2016 (London, UK): Testing Apache Cassandra with Jepsen: How to Understand and Produce Sage Distributed Systems
Interesting Job Opportunities:
- Apache Cassandra Administrator – Oracle – Vienna, VA
- Software Engineering Intern: Cassandra – DataStax- Santa Clara, CA or Austin, TX
- Senior DevOps Engineer: Cloud Database Engineering – Netflix – Los Gatos, CA
- Cassandra Consultant – The Last Pickle – Anywhere
- Senior Software Engineer, DevOps – The Weather Company
- Staff Cassandra Engineer- Walmart- Sunnyvale, CA
- Apache Cassandra Technical Evangelist – DataStax – Germany
- NoSQL/Cassandra Specialist – Sapient Global Markets – Gurgaon, India
- NoSQL Database Specialist – Sapient Global Markets – London, UK
- Cassandra Database Engineer – Survey Monkey, Palo Alto, CA
Call For Papers:
CFP Deadline: June 1st
We are always looking for the next big Cassandra expert to speak at a Meetup! Please fill in this form and tell us what you have in mind!
CFP Deadline: Open
Connect with the Cassandra Community:
- An Introduction to Grip: We’ve found another way for you to meet Cassandra enthusiasts in your area or even in the same room as you! Download Grip on Android or from The Apple Store